Monthly Archives: March 2010

Do the hitstun shuffle!

Last night I got some good work done! Along with the work that fet was able to finish yesterday we’re making some solid progress. Pictures soon, promise.

    Fixed some bugs in shooting while running animation

    Re-exported shooting while running frames

    Updated palette on various grass tiles

    Made Mycon spawning “hole” (might change this to something more elaborate later)

    Began work on cliff tileset

Huge maps

We have made lot of progress in the past few days.

Thanks to my coworker Andrew, we finally got Python and its dependencies properly set up on Julian’s MacBook so that he could run the game himself. Before that, were having to rely on making prebuilt copies on my machine whenever anything changed. Considering how simple and approachable Python is designed to be, setting up packages and installing things is a giant frustration.

Jules convinced me that we ought to increase the map size by a lot; we now have tons of tiles to work with. Levels that take several minutes to work through are now more possible.

big map.png

After finding dual-stick Robotron controls unwieldy, and unable to agree on a tap/hold scheme, we decided to offer *both* of the tap/hold schemes. Tap either button to fire in the direction you’re moving; hold the Jules button to maintain your firing direction as you strafe around; hold the Fet button to halt your character in place and shoot in any direction.

Adding a hit stun effect to the enemies when you hit them was a big step in the direction of making Paraplu feel like a game. It’s a tiny thing, but seeing an enemy shake back and forth and halt for three frames is quite satisfying.

The pathway

After putting it off for a long time (god knows with good reason) Fet managed to help me get a dev environment set up on my new Macbook. I would say that this has been something that has caused progress to be slow, but I would really just be making excuses. Regardless, it did allow me to try my hand at using Fet’s nifty level edit mode to make my first level last night. Holy crap.

It happened so easily, so naturally. We have all these tiles and features in place, and in about 10 minutes I was done making a new level that, if I do say myself, looks great! I could make ten such levels in a single evening if I so desired. I plan to do just that in the coming week. It also helped me to realise a few very easily remedied issues with my tilesets. How much putting these things into practice can reveal.

With the incredible Cave Story coming out for Wii this week I’ve been massively inspired (Daisuke Amaya is not only one of my biggest influences, but one of the people I admire most in the game-development world period). Things have slowed down a little at work, I have some free time, it seems an appropriate time to jump on development and get into a groove.